Monday, January 11, 2010

A Real Post

you know how during the winter stores and restaurants will paint white cloudy frost/snow in their storefront windows? well, we have the real thing in our house. (Harlan might appreciate this) when it gets this cold, the windows frost right up. the house we're currently renting doesn't have the "upgraded" windows, so we're more privy to the winds that blow - and right now the winds that blow are about 15 degrees - a pretty good dose of cold for here at least. (the windows actually rattle too) while not liking thinking about the extra cost of heat, I have liked thinking about real frost in my windows - but it is only this morning that I took the time to actually look closely enough to appreciate the frost more fully.

it illustrates nicely a common theme that I carry with me alot. we tend to think and believe in "progress", that is, we value efficiency, orderliness, sterilization, comfort, speed, etc. and even if we don't necessarily believe in them, we are often caught up in the current. now - you don't have to necessarily long to return to a hunting-gathering society, but I think it does do us good to contemplate where and why we're going where we are. my basic premise is that the "gains" made in all of our progress often have a valuable (if subtle) loss as well. not financial loss, but loss of soul nourishment.

I wish all these gains and losses could be listed up front - before we all decide to go ahead with all of our progress. unfortunately this process is compounded by financial incentives - hence the wit "the love of money is the root of all evil" which could also be worded "the love of paying less money for larger quantities of more cheaply made things is the root of our spiritual desolation". medical epidemics aside, I'm going to continue to strive for soul food and try to stay out of the current. progress may be inevitable, but I daresay not as inevitable as we like to think. anyway, I'm enjoying my frost this morning, much more than my silver. (see Ecclesiastes 5:10)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree completely, Matthew. You word it well.

I do think that is one area in which the "artistic types" are more perceptive. It is because they notice the beauty in everyday existence that they are artists, after all.

Darren Byler said...

So the main thing you suspect modernization is stealing from us is the frost and rattle of old windows. I think yes, of course, old things which were made for the long term and filled their allotted space are the best. Two objects, for example, which push at this logic are the eight track recorder and the digital camera -- both replacements for expensive, bulky, scented processes. So far neither of these developments give us the same spiritual benefits. But it seems possible for new objects to be designed in such a way or at the least be used in such a way as to conjure spirits through mimicry -- your photo in this post is an example of that since it gives me sensations of cold snapping ice against the sound of wind.