Friday, November 27, 2009

Someday Never Comes

I think that probably the reason I listen to this weird college station on the radio is that amidst all the random genres of music, there comes these elite moments when the music fits perfectly into my prismatic life.
so it's been like, forever, since I've posted and I'm sure you're dying to hear my laments.
I suppose what really draws us to great art and literature is simply that we discover people, real human beings, who have somehow managed to find the time and courage and sense of individuality to pull out of existence its beautiful and potently formative forms - the things we struggle to create ourselves in the 10 minutes per week we are allotted for contemplation and reflection.
I've been back on the hunting trail for meaning in life (ok, I've never left) but back again with heavier steps. what is it precisely that gives life meaning? finding wealth, a home, raising a family, ok fine. these things can be found. but finding contentment? now there's a treasure that one buys a field to find. this is what I think of when Jesus says "narrow is the way, and few there be that find it."
wringing, wringing, the drops of life
out of my bones

1 comment:

Linda said...

On the hunting trail for meaning in life...I like that thought. It's a pursuit I have been on myself since as far back as I can remember..I wish at 52 I could say I've reached the final conclusion, but I don't believe that is entirely possible until we reach the end of the trail.
But I am trying and learning to live life a day at a time... to look through the eyes of a child at the things she sees, to laugh more at myself, emerge myself in the beauties of nature all around me, to cry when I feel the pain of life's unfairness, and to love with a passion... It makes life become a wide open book with me anxiously waiting for the next chapter to begin.