Thursday, September 10, 2009

Our Time in Its Beautiful Way

when my fingers trace the shape of you
along your face
with its softened skin
I sense you far beneath
down, down below the surface
deeper and deeper
beyond my knowing
beyond my sleepless stare
my eyes watery and washed
drowning in great salt waves
heaved from their burning ocean of tumult
thundering and dissolving my world
our world together
until I am undone
unmasked and mistook
aimless in my convictions
harrowed in my night
harrowed in my night
.
.
our time in its beautiful way
like ice crystals completely shattered
sprinkled in a graceful arc
across mountains and deserts
and all the empty air
all the empty air
.
.
a great loss is thrust upon me
piercing my chest to bursting flesh
its cavity scraped, scoured and blood-let
excised of its beatings
its hormonal angst
its pure love
its devotion
its haste
my splintered ribs clutch
at their barren vacancy
for entrails discarded
scattered into four winds
and many secret places
many secret places
.
.
walking the night along its ruddy breezes
its tempest breathing in and out
scalding me with ambivalence
pressing into my face the unimaginable
the unquenched path
and its unforeseen end
undeniable
.
.
your footfalls in the darkness
I walk towards you
and away again
towards you
and away again
a circling search
of a place I can know again
of a time I can remember
how to be
.
.
I watch for your shadow
undulating among the trees
among the slanted slopes
I touch your hair
and remember you
where you had once been
once ruminated and embraced
and died openly
.
.
empty, I float away
above the earth and this time
above my mumblings
my disdain, my reproach
secretive and bubbling sweet
a silky dream
tucked in a crevice
like a coiled web
.
.
I await your returning
and vow to wait
to sink back with the rain
into the low-lying puddles
and muddy spots
collected
trickled down and distilled
remade and undone
remade again
.
.
memories in gentle roundabout currents
swirl me along the dotted earth
replace my disgrace
rearrange my disguise
upend my brimming heart
convolute my silence
and my hope
.
.
I've been bitten
down deep
where I cannot go
where I cannot go
to stop the bleeding
flowers I picked for Shannon with her scarf

8 comments:

Meredith said...

But One is with you and CAN touch the places you can't go. He is gentle and kind. He understands suffering and grief. May you sense His presence as you go through this "fellowship of His sufferings."
~Edith

Darren Byler said...

wow matt. i don't remember exactly what nonsense I told you last night about focus and borrowing. this is much better than anything I imagined. this is really intense: like screaming waves of ice on the brain.

can't wait to see you guys next weekend.

Dustin said...

powerful words, Matt... thanks for letting the dark ink flow and skillfully corralling and taming it with your pen... not an easy process, in more ways than one. the blood of our souls runs wild and deep, part of the image of our Long-Longing Creator, and the sibling of what flowed from His Weeping Son, our broken brother... may they draw you in ever deeper into their Hearts, by the Wild and Restless Wind that makes them One...

Unknown said...

Your words are shattering in their precision, Matthew. God hears your psalm.

adalong said...

Matt, Thank you for sharing your thoughts in a way that is so rare.

I just read your blog about the autopsy results. I appreciate you letting us know.

Please know that you and Olivia are loved!
Ada

Dawn said...

Matthew, thank you again for sharing your gift of words with us. I cannot always put words to the depth of the pain and loss or the big ache of missing/needing our sister. Yes, I am glad that others can believe for us that there is One who can touch the places we cannot go and cannot face. I will ride on their hope for a while until I can again grasp my own. The beauty and loveliness of her life and love is even more contrasted by the ugliness of death and separation.

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

I woke up today feeling the waves of pain all over again. I'll go a few days without much emotion and then it hits again. Shannon is not a person who will be forgotten. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and helping all of us to grieve better.

Alison (you know which one) said...

This is your best poem to date Matthew. You still have the gift I remembered so vividly.

You never know what your going to get in life. Happiness lies in looking to the bright side and excepting the grief as par for the course. Without grief how would we feel love? Life is about beginings and endings. The two occupy the same point in space.

I enjoyed the photos from your run.