Monday, October 5, 2009

My Little Robot (and other poems)





.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I Have a Little Robot
.
I have a little robot
made 'specially for me
it follows me around the house
and keeps observing me
.
it watches all my actions
and everything I do
but instead of copy-catting
the reverse is always true
.
the things i try to put away
the robot takes them out
the toys I take within the hosue
the robot takes without
.
I put things in their rightful place
and then without a doubt
the robot turns the drawers on end
turns cupboards inside out
.
the food I place within the dish
is dropped upon the floor
the socks I slide upon the feet
end up beside the door
.
the water I put in the bath
goes seldom down the drain
the laundry that I neatly stack
is taken out and stained
.
I've thought to take my model back
for something less deficient
a robot that could actually help
my time be more efficient
.
but then she smiles up at me
her hair all curled and bright
and waddles round the house to some
unbearable delight
.
I guess I'll keep her on a while
and see how things will go
she's only one year old and so
there's probably room to grow
.
.
.
The Well-Wisher Dragons in Flagons
.
dragons in flagons
and whispery beasts
all shut in their shells for the night
-there is peace
.
but wait, oh just wait
with a crack and a groan
out from their hiding
they rustle and moan
.
they're moving and slinking
and shifting about
they're yawning and stretching
they're all getting out
.
but I'm done for the day
i don't want them here
I don't want them ever
but now they are near
.
I'll wrestle and scream
I'll figure them out!
I'll lay every which way
and flopping about-
.
I'll kick them aside
and batten them down
I'll empty the trash can
on top of their town!
.
until I am done
my muscle all spent
my brain all in tatters
and torn like a tent
.
about to collapse
exhausted and lame
but still they all whistle
and chant out my name
.
I listen, cu-ckooing
and bickering go
back to my sleep
for I know that they know
.
they have me, have won
have snickled my gizzard
they've walloped me sore
and snookered my wizard
.
so back to their flagons
and back to their shells
these dragons and snivels
and well-wisher-wells
.
bid me goodnight
with a flick of their tails
but its morning and daybreak
it just never fails
.
.
.
To Those Who Mourn
.
I would not that
ye slip into the grave
the watery rain-slipped
sorrow - muddy
.
think not forever
about tomorrow
nor yesterday
be transfixed upon
this day
.
climb up, climb out
climb as you might
take in this wretched
mournful ball
of earth and stone
and its airy
drapes, moist cloaks
and wraps
its grisly hair and
its knotted brow
feel heavy upon it
walk upon feet
which you possess
claim it as
your own and
forget not
the heights
and depths you
have known
.
sorrow yet another day
and yet one more
but forget not
your footfalls
your breath
your gentle,
empty rest

9 comments:

Darren Byler said...

Hi Matthew,
I read these several times and looked up the word flagon. I like your twisting Blakean language (or whatever) which has a way of dancing around (with ridiculous rhyme!) something that defies definition. It must be looked at and seen in order to be gotten. What I'm trying to say is you are illustrating what you feel not from the "isn't this just great" or the "i hate this completely" (neither of which is true) position, but from the "see this is absurd/see this is what I love/need anyway, here is why." It's actually obvious to me that your wizard has not been snookered.

DB

lazonya said...

Do you mind if I print My Little Robot?

matt said...

I don't mind. you must have a similar robot at your house.

Terri said...

i can identify with the robot poem so much these days. thanks for sharing.

Lisa Ebersole said...

okay I decided to speak up. I am a friend of Jon P.'s (and Dawn's) I have been following your blog for a smidgin now. I was wondering if I could use your Robot poem in my boys room. It reminds me sooo much of Robert Louis Stevenson's I have a little Shadow. Which we occassionally spoof for our boys who are 2 and 3. God has really blessed you with a way with words. thanks for sharing and allowing us to look into your family.

matt said...

I don't mind.

Linda said...

Your poems say so much and reveal your heart so well. I really enjoyed My Little Robot and know exactly what you are talking about!
It would be great for a parent's publication.

Meredith said...

I liked the poems too! As I was reading the middle one about dragons, I thought about Where the Wild Things Are. I wanted to draw pictures of the dragon. Actually, with Lillian's help and artwork, you could publish a book of that poem!
~Edith

Evie said...

Good for my soul to read this tonite. Hi to Olivia.