Thursday, October 1, 2009

Try This at Home

It was the day I ran the farthest ever in my life. In order not to rush to an early death, I started out my first marathon " conservatively" with the 3:30 pacer who was supposed to be running 8 minute miles. When he ran the second mile in 8:20, I started to lose confidence in the man. Besides, this felt like jogging to me. At mile 3 I bid the 3:30 pack adieu, tucked in my tail and began to tempt fate with 7:30 and even 7:00 minute miles. I met my family at mile 10, which ended up being the 2nd best feel good part of the race. Last year in the half marathon, I had such a hard time finding my family and just ended up catching a glimpse of Dawn, so this year I was bound and determined to search them out. Lyric was on the top of the list because she periodically likes to ask me why I didn't see them or hear them or see the sign that they made. I was going to stop and sort through the crowd by hand if need be in order to make sure I found Lyric. Well - there they were so I waved and gave Lyric a hug before tearing off and then suddenly remembering I wasn't half done yet. It was metaphorically uphill from there. Miles 13 through 17 were pretty mundane and mental energy began to lag. For a few miles I even lapsed back to the horrifying 8 minute pace! After 20 miles I could begin to envision actually finishing this thing. There were runners who had stopped to walk at this point and I don't remember if that was discouraging or encouraging at the time. But -

Glory! Glory! There it is! I'm downtown and the ramp into the stadium! There's a guy running just in front of me as I turn into the stadium - I blow by him and I can see the finish! Some primal beast tries to leap out of my skin and I clutch at his hair just in order to hang on. I hear my family yelling and I'm sprinting like a maniac, trying to stay abreast of the hairy beast. What exultation is birthed here? I must have ran right by the guy who was supposed to shake my hand after the finish because no one shook my hand. I got my medal and a water bottle then walked over to lean on the fence. I cried for five minutes, laying Shannon to rest and exulting in the freedom I found in running. I walked off the field, threw up my water and was met with congratulations from my family.
When can I do this again?


Official Results: time 3:20:27
split average 7:39
place in age group 16/151
place in overall men 75/976



my thumbs up at mile 0.

.

.

giving Lyric a hug at mile 10
Dawn holds the blue "flag of Buryatia", a piece of
cloth from Russia given as a gift by Shannon

.

.just after seeing my family at mile 10

.

. Lyric listens to the anthem right before her fun run

.

.

Lyric (and Mommy) run!

.

.

It's over!

.

.


Photos courtesy of Darren Byler. For more photos of a maniac finishing a marathon, visit http://www.runphotos.com/

select Akron Marathon and enter my lucky bib number 777

5 comments:

Olivia said...

Will you marry me?

Darren Byler said...

I'm glad we were there to watch you do that. It's always fun to borrow a little insanity.

Marilyn said...

so matt, what's the answer? r u going 2 marry olivia?? huh? huh?

congratulations on your fantastic run! i envy your stellar time. but not the puking part.

Amy Herr said...

We were thrilled to read your story. We thought about you a lot. We just knew you'd finish strong.

Unknown said...

Way to show that lactic acid who's boss, Matt!