Friday, April 2, 2010

On Nest Building

I have 15 minutes for this blog: forgive me.
Mr. Bird here - I've been looking for a nesting site for the past 3 months and I'm not sure even now if I've found it. I'm not sure of the validity of signing years of our lives away just so we can claim a place of our own and yet we need a nest. I grow weary of playing the game of real estate buying - agents, appraisals, preapprovals and counteroffers. (I like listening to Alexi Murdoch much better.) I was determined to have a real nest by the time we hatch our third egg - but I don't know if we will. but even if we don't - we have real love: love that's come through the wash time after time with amazing resilience. we are, after all, only passing through - and in about 40 years (if I'm lucky) I'll be in a wooden box in the ground. (correction: in a concrete vault in order to comply with water table restrictions - I don't want to have any of my entrails leaking into your drinking water after all) I'll keep looking for that nest.

3 comments:

Lisa E. said...

That is a very creative and well written baby announcement if ever i saw one. Congratulations!!!

lazonya said...

Hope you find a nest soon. I can relate!

And as far as the concrete vault in the ground...most people don't know that cemeteries and funeral directors are notorious for misleading regarding requirements. The vaults usually aren't required, but those selling them to you want you to believe they are so they can get more of your(or your family's) money.

As for me, in 40 years when it is time to care for my body...wrap it in a clean cotton cloth (no embalming please!) and bury it in a field somewhere where it can at least nourish the earth.

Unknown said...

Good luck, Robin.